View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 11:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
JoeBob
EcoModding Lurker

Former Barbershop Sign - '91 Geo Metro Funky old car edition
Last 3: 42.15 mpg (US)

Oklahoma Rust Bucket - '83 Cadillac Eldorado Stuck in gridlock on the 405 suspension
About 30 years ago, GM tried putting diesels in cars. They got burnt really bad. Of course, they were basically somewhat reinforced Oldsmobile engines, rather than a purpose built engine. This may be a contributing factor to why GM chose to discontinue Oldsmobile, once their second most popular division. I suspect they are more than a little reluctant to head down the diesel passenger car road again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
GM has an unusual opportunity. With the introduction of their new diesels, intended for the light truck market and the prowess of their Powertrain Division, they could make a couple of cars that could get a lot of attention real fast.

First a qualifier. If a person knows anything about GM, they are masters of flexible engine/transmission packaging. Every engine they ever built will fit (with minimal mods) every car they ever built. If they are touting a 4.5 liter V-8, you can bet the farm that somewhere in the bowels of the Warren engineering center there is a 3.4 liter V-6 and a 2.3 liter I-4, and the transfer line for the V-8 can make the V-6 and I-4. That has been GM policy since Alfred P. Sloan and “Engine Charlie” Wilson.

First the easy one. Put the 4.5 liter V-8 into the new platform being sold as the Pontiac G8. Front engine, rear drive. Put the diesel and a T-56 six-speed into the same car and you are easily into the 40 MPFG class with a car one does not have to be a midget to squeeze into. When it is ready also put the 3.4 liter V-6 into the same car, same transmission probably good for the mid-40s.

Now the tough one. GM needs an “Insight.” A car that is fangs out for the MPG crown. Myself I would imitate the VW sex toy. Two seats, tandem arrangement, a small (<25 HP) diesel, manual or constant-mesh transmission, a narrow four-wheel layout, and a composite body. With a tandem layout, frontal area could be cut 40-50% and not sacrifice this car to a midget-only market. GM could put in a new line at the Bowling Green KY Corvette plant and capitalize on the fact that work force knows how to make quality composite cars bodies. The car need not be a mass-market car any more than the Insight was, but it should be numerous enough to get visibility and make GM’s bones as a builder of high MPG cars.

Ford and Chrysler have atrophied to the point they simply cannot do something like this. Frankly I expect both to be liquidated within a decade. But GM can do it, by trading on existing strengths.