Thread: safety ideas
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 11:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
backyard engineer
EcoModding Lurker

safety ideas

Have you ever been cruising down the freeway when suddenly your nearly rear-ended? Going 50 or 55 when almost everyone else is doing 70 or 80 is kind of daring, don't ya think? Well after several close calls I began to think .... how can I get those other drivers to be a little sharper? heres what I'm doing now. On my crx I've installed yellow LED's just above my brake lights. Also installed a lot of DOT reflector tape in a custom checkerboard pattern. the LED's come with a small button to activate them. I mounted it onto my e-brake handle. LED's are about 20 bucks, and come with great 3M tape ready to install. Cheap and easy. So now when I notice someone racing up behind me I give them a couple or few warning flashes. This system works really well, most drivers change lanes a little sooner than they normally would. The DOT tape seems like it may be a little counter-productive. I think some drivers actually follow me a little longer than usual trying to decide why would anyone do that to the back of their car? After a while they figure it out.