View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #22 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Floordford -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floordford View Post
I was daydreaming, as im sure alot of people here do, and I was thinking of the benefits of ram air intakes. Then I thought of hot air intakes Then I thought of hot ram air intake. Like some how trapping air that has passed through the radiator and route it to the intake. But then I thought that there must be an ideal hot temperature for engine efficiency before it looses too much power or causes problems.

What kinds of HAI temps are beneficial?

By the way im not following through on some odd hot ram air intake. Its just the thought that led me to the question.
There was a member named lovemysan that ran his HAI up to 190 degrees F. At that temperature he said his Saturn S-Series 1.9 liter 4-banger started to have driving problems.

I don't think I've gotten higher than 160 degrees F, but I am not positive.

More details from lovemysan :

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan View Post

1a) Your bellypan will cause cooling issues. A few notes on the saturn: A panel can be added underneath the radiator to force air through it. A sealed grill block with passages to the radiator would be best. The HAI will reduce underhood temps. Limit IAT temps to not more than 190, you will loose power and mileage. Do not exceed 200f coolant temp, again you will loose power and mileage. I found IAT 150-180 and coolant at 190-195 to be most efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan View Post
I find HAI to work best on map sensor based cars. Works on the saturn and works well. We tested it multple times and fiddled with the IAT on nissan and it did NOT work at all. The only result was a serious power loss.
CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society