View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 01:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
ciderbarrel
MPG is not linear police

Ciderbarrel's P*2 - '22 Polestar 2
90 day: 108.13 mpg (US)

Ciderbarrel's Civic - '08 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 31.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsatter View Post
There are gains to be had just from the way you drive. Engine on Coasting into stops keeps you off the gas pedal and can help you keep your car moving while a light is getting ready to turn green.
I already do that. I got 50% improvement on my Mustang doing just that, neutral coasting to light, stop signs. The fuel cutoff doesn't really help me in my automatic Saturn

Quote:
Slowing down on the freeway will net you a gain in mileage as well.
I only do city, stop and go driving with my Saturn.

Quote:
Inflating your tires to the max sidewall pressure or over inflating them will reduce friction with the road surface.
That is something I'm seriously looking into. I replaced my stock tires with new stock tires and they're set at 30 PSI as per the label in the glove box. I'm thinking of going 15% over, which would be about 35PSI. Is that too aggressive for city driving, or should I go higher as there isn't much of a danger of them heating too much?

Quote:
Grill blocks or partial grill blocks improve the aerodynamics of the front of the car as well.
My car has such a small grill. Like so small I didn't even notice it the first few years I had the car. It's like only 2-3 inches tall.

Quote:
There's a whole list of things you can do at the top of the page: 65+Efficiency Mods and 100+ Hypermiling tips. They range from small and easy to very extreme. Going through the list and seeing what strikes a cord with you would be a good idea.

You should see some pretty good gains from your Saturn just by driving more efficiently. Upwards of 20 percent, I would guess.
Yikes, that's not that much more. 4 more MPG would put me 1 MPG over my combined MPG est of 24, lol

Since I'm doing all city driving (45 MPH or lower with most of the roads around here with 35 MPH speed limits) and no highway driving, I'm getting the EPA est 21 MPG city rating.