View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Varn
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
Interference drag

Yesterday I was riding my bicycle on the road. I was in a headwind. Riding 12-13 mph. A spray vehicle passed me. These things are like big insects. They sit high to get around in a field with mature corn in it. The sprayer was like the one in the photo but didn't have as big of a spray head as in the photo Sprayers - John Deere

The bottom of the sprayer is about 6 feet off the ground the tires are fairly narrow to fit between corn rows.

Anyway as soon as it passed at 25-30 mph I got a terrific draft and got up to 21 mph for a couple of hundred yards.

The point is that there is a huge amount of interference drag below the vehicle. It was almost as if the sprayer was filling up the entire space to the ground. As if it was semi truck.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787