View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
bhartmann10
EcoModding Lurker

Escape from Okie - '08 Ford Escape XLT 4cyl FWD Auto
90 day: 24.93 mpg (US)
What is possible from SUVs?

Hey all,

I wanted to get some feedback from the forum regarding what is possible in the way of MPG improvement in a mid-sized SUV such as a Hyundai Santa FE or Chevrolet Equinox?

My wife and I are in the market to replace my beloved but aging Suzuki with something that has more space for our new baby and her stuff in addition to incorporating more safety features (traction control, multiple airbags, etc.) and more space for my 6'7" 300# frame which I have shoehorned into said Suzuki every day for the last 7 years.

This will primarily be my vehichle for a 50 mile round-trip daily commute and for our occasional family trips of moderate distance. Since it is going to be primarily my vehicle, I am planning on Hypermiling the vehicle. Right now we are leaning towards the Santa FE or Equinox. Perhaps my wife would be able to be talked into a Scion xB...maybe.

I am just looking for some input as to what some of the rare others with SUVs have found in their efforts? We would be going with Fwd , not 4wd , and with an automatic transmission, and the smallest engine option as we don't need it for towing or anything of the sort.

Thoughts?

Brian