View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
owlafaye
Multiple Geo owner/3cyl

Another Way To Save Money

I have two 50 mpg+ Geo Metros...they are great. However, my lady and I wanted something large, comfortable, spiffy and fun so we bought a 2004 Chrysler Sebring Convertible

How do you save money on such a car? Well, it is more than mileage that comes with savings.

We shopped for a few weeks...eventually we found our car on Craig's List. It was suspicious: $3200 was all they were asking and several phone conversations later I was convinced we should at least take a look. It had 100,000 miles on it, a 4 cylinder engine (very advanced technologically however) and other than a headlight out and an inoperable cigarette lighter, I could find NOTHING wrong with it. No dents-everything worked precisely-quiet-good shifter-good tires...so? We bought it.

I immediately installed a timing belt, idler assembly, tensioner and water pump...very complicated and time consuming...that engine is in there tight tight tight and it had to come out part way and constantly be lowered raised jacked about and swore at. Belts, plugs, wires, service transmission, tower stabilizer bar etc etc etc and we checked brakes, bearings, lights EVERYTHING...I put 2 quarts of Marvel Mystery Oil in it and changed the oil 500miles later then changed the filter twice, changing the oil and filter a third time, I found it to be clean after 5000 miles...not bad for a 100,000 mile engine.

Now it gets 28 mpg at 65 mph...probably 33 mpg if I hyper-miled it I'll bet.

I noticed a new fender had been blended in rather shabbily to my tastes ...I could notice it, being experienced, so I had a body shop re-blend the paint on the fender, adjoining door and hood...a perfect job for $440 They inspected for prior accident/damages...NONE...just that fender.

Eventually I installed 4 new tires for $244 (Wal-Mart sale)

I am sure it will last another 100,000 miles with little problem and as you can see, I have essentially developed a car that is just as economical as my Geo Metros OVERALL...and got into this beauty for about $5000 total.

But my best BRAG is my Geo Metros...I LOVE them...they are wonderful and lots of fun to drive...3 cyl 5 speed 1989 5 door and a 1994 ditto 3 door. I paid $300 for one and $250 for the other...went through both thoroughly for about $1000 each...what a gas and not gassers.

I bet I can get more junk in my Geo than you can...laughter I had one so full that the 24 foot extension ladder and numerous other items stuck out everywhere and I had to use a hand mirror to see out to the right door mirror...laughter Probably 600 extra pounds and I was rowing that transmission through the mountains of Oregon madly...snow and ice everywhere...a few broadside skids and I arrived, averaging 42 mpg...laughter...no kidding...I had it absolutely floored for 442 miles and was in 3rd gear almost half the time...laughter

Cars are fun...my Dodge trucks have been very lonely since I bought those Geos.