View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
katiep
EcoModding Lurker

Red - '04 Chevrolet Aveo
90 day: 35 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Those are 40mpg on the unrealistic EU cycle.
It wouldn't get a 40 mpg rating from the EPA.

But it would get considerably better FE in a lighter car, with longer gearing.
Well THANKS for bursting my bubble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilson4web View Post
Especially when different car companies and vehicle frames are involved. As an intellectual exercise, OK, but 'in real life' ... OWCH!
  • motor mounts
  • transmission/transaxle
  • steering linkage
  • computer(s) and wiring harnesses
  • transaxle shifter and parking pawl
  • accelerator cable vs. new engine
  • half-shafts from transaxle to wheels
  • suspension points for MacPherson struts
It would be unbelievably complicated and expensive. But you have a Chevy now so I'm curious about why speculate about a 2000 Echo?

It might be easier to find a used Prius or Honda hybrid and start with an integrated system that user reports already show better than 40 MPG including city driving.

Bob Wilson
It *was* more of an intellectual exercise. The Echo was my first car and I have a Chevy now. I like to keep a car as long as I can, and I'm going back and forth on whether to keep replacing parts in my current one until the end of time until a really fuel efficient car comes out that I feel comfortable buying OR when my engine fails, just getting something like an Insight or Prius.

And that's the reason I've become interested in the general idea of putting a different engine in a car. Half of it is fun speculation and reading neat stories and imagining I knew everything about engines lol aaaaaand the other half is curiosity with a more practical spin. Okay maybe it's more of an 80/20 split.

Anyway, would ALL those things on your list need to be replaced with a new engine in any case, or just when different companies are involved? The more I consider the practical part of it, the more I remind myself that it's easier and cheaper to get a different car.