View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Sovereign
EcoModding Lurker

RAV4 - '16 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Limited
90 day: 35.26 mpg (US)
The idea of neutral shifting is to reduce the burden on the engine, saving a small amount of fuel. My engine (as in any hybrid) shuts off entirely. Except when the battery is drained, then it insists on running. Shifting into neutral would (I think) disengage the charging mechanism, thus defeating the point. I'll have to look at that (if, say, "charge in neutral" is better than "charge in drive" I'm all for it).

Massachusetts drivers (I moved recently from Chicago to take a job in the Greater Boston area) tend to just blow by you on the shoulder (or "breakdown lane" as it's called here). I've been honked at, seen looks of exasperation from other drivers, and probably been flipped off (I make a point to NOT look). I've also had other drivers who are more than happy to follow my not-stopping-nearly-as-often ways--it feels like you're "moving faster."

One driver honked, blew past me in the left lane and promptly ran into a wall of traffic. I proceeded in the middle lane coasting (engine off as hybrids do) for at least a mile. Owned by karma.