View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
belly

Quote:
Originally Posted by momorris View Post
Hi all.

I have a kia picanto and so far have fitted a full lower grill cover. half upper grill cover. I have tried smooth wheel covers on the rear only by taping over the hub cap holes. So far all is good and i have seen a definate increase.

my coroplast is due to arrive this week and i intend to split a sheet and make full wheel covers for front and rear. I dont know what to do with the rest however. I did originally intend to belly pan but the problem will be the exhaust (do you normally split the pan to allow the exhaust open air?) and the suspension components. Towards the rear it would be easy to fit a pan straight across the underside. Would having only the rear covered cause any problems?

Or would an air dam be a better option and if so is their a specific height from the ground for best effect.
If you have the clearance,metal heat shields can be attached to either the exhaust or the upper surface of the pan.Or you can leave close quarters areas uncovered.Fiberglass exhaust header wrap can also mitigate high heat areas of low clearance.
As far as the pan itself,wind tunnel investigations have determined that one should start at the front and work back.
This morning I measured almost a 2-mpg loss due to removing the forward 1/3rd of my pan.Ouch!!!!!!!!!