View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 11:31 PM   #65 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
The Cherokee runs durned hot underhood. Even in "winter" down here I have had to use gloves to open the hood. Read up on the hood vents others were using but instead jacked up the hinges with some washers.

The real improvement came from cutting away the hood-to-firewall weatherstripping on the side away from the HVAC intake. Probably could have dispensed with the washers (which also caused enough tilt/pressure on the hood to make the hood latches problematic so had to re-install the central underhood mechanism after it came loose).

The compartment airflow is now such that the aftermarket 185F thermostat is a little too cool for best FE where before the hot climate this XJ lives in still found near 210-220F temps regularly.

I also recently bypassed the heater core with a shutoff valve. This is a worthwhile addition for A/C performance.

For what it's worth I'd stick with the OEM auxiliary fan. The XJ has a fairly minimal cooling system to accommodate ground clearance, but the factory setup is good with that in mind, IMO.

Last edited by slowmover; 07-01-2011 at 11:39 PM..