View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 05:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
War_Wagon
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Wow, the battery DOES make a difference! (Insight IMA back on after forced recal.)

Thanks to Jamesqf's tip, I forced a recal on the computer by pulling fuse #18 (5th from the left, bottom row, very important info lol). As soon as I started the Insight it showed charging on the dashboard! I drove around town a bit and the battery level kept on rising. The auto stop kicked in and scared me, I thought I had stalled it somehow! The idle also dropped under 1000 rpm. Once it had some charge in it, the battery assist also kicked in when I was pulling away from a stoplight. What a difference! Man it's pretty peppy now, it's way more fun to drive. I figured the assist was only for hills or passing, I didn't realize it kicked in at low speeds as well. I have yet to see how long the battery will last when climbing a steep hill, but at least I know the charging system works, and I have had no lights come on the dashboard to tell me there is a problem anywhere. I was so excited I drove to a local big box store and bought a cassette adapter for my MP3 player so I can rock out through the factory Honda cassette deck. Good times!