View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 12:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
ciderbarrel
MPG is not linear police

Ciderbarrel's P*2 - '22 Polestar 2
90 day: 108.13 mpg (US)

Ciderbarrel's Civic - '08 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 31.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbgravely View Post
Which the Mustang or the Saturn?

The max air pressure is on the side wall of the tire, most are 36 or 44. The pressure given by the auto manufacturer is for ride comfort. Some cars have cheap suspensions and use soft tires to cover that up.
The Saturn. It specifically states it must be towed with the front wheels off the ground. I do put her in neutral, engine on, at red lights though. I hope I can break 30 MPG with her once.

I'll have to look at what it says on the sidewall. I did request to replace the tires with stock just to keep things, well, stock. So what ever it says on the stock if I can google it will work. Tomorrow I was already planning to head to the local gas station and waste a buck on the air machine and raise the PSI.

My Mustang is a manual, so he would be able to go EOC. That is something I would need to practice. I've read about it and how to work the clutch but I do 80%-90% highway driving, so I'm not too pressed to go that route with him. I mean, I bought a V8 not for the MPG but for power. I will be doing some Autocross racing with it when I'm not "Sunday driving" with him. For those times when I'm on the local roads getting on/off the highways, I do use some techniques to keep the MPG up as much as I can.

Coasting in neutral to red lights, stop signs. Rolling stops at right turns/stop signs when there is 0% chance of a cop around. They will stop you in my neck of the woods. Driving slower in stop and go so I'm at a constant speed (or I can P&G) so I'm not constantly stopping/starting. Stuff like that.

Having an auto for the Saturn will limit me on what I can do, and aero mods are out of the question since money is way tight right now, but every little bit will count in the long run. Whenever I do get the funds, I would love to trade her in for a hybrid (the Honda CRZ really caught my eye).