View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #26 (permalink)
BLSTIC
Master EcoModder

Delivery 'Boy - '86 Suzuki Mighty Boy
90 day: 37.15 mpg (US)

SkipSwift - '13 Suzuki Swift GL
90 day: 35.44 mpg (US)
The side of the fence I currently sit on (until after my tests anyway) is that if the engine is 25% efficient (if not less in most cruise situations), 75% of the engergy must be wasted.

We know that energy is at least partially recoverable, because raising the geometric compression ratio (really the expansion ratio is the important bit) results in more full load power, and economy in cruise situations, without a similar (percentage-wise) increase in air and fuel flow. We also know that unless the timing is at MBT, we can extract more power from a given charge simply altering ignition timing (knock limited of course, but water injection can soon solve that, without adding any extra fuel). Again, we also know that improving vaporisation (on systems like carbies that don't do such a good job of it) can improve economy, power, and emissions with zero change in airflow.

I'm just trying to release that energy chemically rather than mechancally.

That said, I completely agree with points 1 & 2. And it has become time for me to put my theories to the test, and gain some insight (and credibility) by accurately reporting on my test for #3, whatever the outcome may be.

Personally I have my hopes, doubts, and theories about it all, and I have nothing riding on whether it works or not. It's a scientific curiousity in me that says 'you have the parts, the knowledge, the time, and the inclination to try this, why not do it?'.

There's also a great many people with theories as to why/whether it will or will not work, a few people scamming, and very few people who are willing to go through their tests objectively.

If it works at all I'll eventually be putting this on a modern car, on a dyno with all relevant information recorded (air-fuel ratio, ignition timing, injector duty cycle, 4-gas analyser if they have one) for a test and tune session. Whether I get to that point is doubtful, but I have to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyrabbit
In God we trust. All others: bring data