View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 11:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
LostCause
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
If it is economics you are concerned about, I would list all the cars you are willing to own in Excel and work out the economics by looking at purchase price, EPA mpg, predicted reliability, depreciation, and insurance rates. Determine the cost per mile and go from there.

Cars that score a higher EPA rating will almost certainly be easier to hypermile. Generally, it will be the lightest, most aerodynamic, and smallest capacity engine available.

I would assume ~$5/gallon of gas for the life of the automobile and 150,000 mile useful life.

Looking at previous years' models and the general trends of major manufacturers, you should be able to get a good grip on depreciation. I'd expect Hyundai's to depreciate faster than Toyotas, etc.

Try to pay in cash. If you can't, I would suggest buying a used car and putting the difference into a CD at a credit union or another healthy investment. Buying a new car with a loan is going to kill through interest and the fact that the loaning institution will want full insurance coverage.

If you have to go for a loan, get the shortest one you can afford. Interest rates are low now, so that is a plus, but the faster you pay off the car the less you spend on interest. Once you are done paying off you car, keep making car payments. If you keep making car payments by putting that cash into an investment, you'll be able to pay in full when it comes time to buy a new car. If you are smart, you'll never have to pay interest again.

Call you insurance companies and get a feeler for expected quotes. Raise your deductible to a few thousand and put enough money into a short-term investment to cover the possibility of an accident. Money will be tied up, but you'll make more in the long run.

Personally, I'd view hypermiling pretty low on the techniques of saving money. When you do get to the point of hypermiling, your best bet will be to slow down to just above torque converter lockup (~45mph), maintain momentum, and pump up LRR tires to max PSI. I'd expect a high of 30mpg and an average of 25mpg.

I don't mean to hand out financial advice, I'm just trying to save you the most money possible.

If you want to learn how to live rich by living smart, read this article.

- LostCause

Last edited by LostCause; 05-10-2008 at 11:30 PM..