View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #54 (permalink)
Diesel_Dave
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
If you really want an example of what's wrong with some automakers, here's a real life example that happened to me earlier this year.

I discovered one of the hump hoses (that connects the intercooler pipe to my intake) was torn and needed replaced. BTW, I must point out that this is a Dodge part, not a Cummins part. Anyway, so I order a replacement hump hose from a racing shop online--It's a thicker, more durable hose than the original and quite a bit cheaper. These hoses are held in place by simple band clamps (in most cases T-bolt band clamps). So when my hose comes in the mail I go out to my truck to replace it. I take the upper clamp off the intake, but then when I go to remove the lower clamp I can't see the T-bolt. I assume it's just on the back side where I can't see it, but when I feel for it I realize that Dodge has decided to save a few cents (litereally) and use a welded band that you have to destroy to remove rather than a simple T-bolt clamp. So I measure the size of the clamp I need and go to the Dodge dealer.

First of all, it doesn't do any good that I have the measurement becuase all the kid at the dealership can do it search around in his computer for the part and come up with a picture and a part number that does not include any actual dimension. So he assures me that it's right, and orders it for $15. It comes in, I drive accros town to pick it up, take it home and realize that it's the wrong size. I go back to the dealership, return it, and he orders another one. When it come in, I drive accross town again, pick it up, take it home and AGAIN find out it's the wrong size. I drive across town again to the dealership which is supposed to close a 5:30. I get there at 5:20 and everyone is already gone. I went back the next day and asked for a refund, and bought the clamp new on e-Bay for $1.99 (including delivery charges). I should've just screamed at the guy at the dealership, "DO YOU PEOPLE REALLY NOT KNOW WHY YOU WENT BANKRUPT!"

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html