View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 07:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
bwilson4web
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
What I'm trying to suggest, perhaps not so artfully, is think of the motor as another 'performance' part of the engine no different than a special cam, ignition, fuel or exhaust system. We are so used to dealing with mechanical parts that we are resistant to the idea that electro-mechanical systems can make major improvements in engine and vehicle efficiency.

How many times have we seen folks propose just adding a motor to their car for a home-brew hybrid without taking a systems approach and understanding 'you can't bolt on high mileage.'

What I'm suggesting is if you have a system already designed to use the motor . . . well not using is a bit like having one dead spark plug in a four cylinder engine and not fixing it. You'll get to where you're going but you're carrying a lot of 'dead weight' and not getting any good from it.

I don't mean this in a hostile way any more than when I'm sitting in traffic, my engine is off, and I hear the car next to me needs a valve job or the pickup with the loose fan belt or the van with the stuck choke. These folks have lives and immediate concerns so car maintenance is down on their list of priorities. Just I'm trying to gently suggest the time to fix the roof is before it rains and we're about 3-4 months away from 'cold weather.'

Is it that hard to pull the Insight battery pack out and at least put it on the bench? This would be fascinating thread to watch and to the limits of my ability, perhaps even offer some help with either suggestions or parts (mostly Prius but who knows.)

Thanks,
Bob Wilson