View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 10:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Champion hypermiler Gerhard Plattner

After reading about how he got 2006km on a single tank of fuel in a stock (though eco-) Škoda Fabia Greenline I looked for more info on record holding Austrian hypermiler Gerhard Plattner. Just Googling his name is enough to show that he is the recommended driver for any car company which wants to show how fuel efficient its new car is. If a certain model has broken a record or two, then Plattner was probably behind the wheel. Apparently the only mod he uses is higher tire pressure, through he does seem to prefer the eco versions with their slightly better aero. The rest is "just" ecodriving.

Worth noting are his Fuel saving tips, which may not be anything new for us, but are surprisingly extreme for tips aimed at the general public (engine off coasting, for example, or drafting at a distance). One of my favorite tips (which I can vouch for!):
Quote:
On open plain courses you can also use the slipstream of a truck to save fuel. Plattner: "About 30 metres behind the truck a kind of suction is created. Once in the United States I tried this with a Volkswagen Golf. The consumption decreased two litres. Unfortunately this technique is very difficult in Europe, because if you keep a distance of 30 metres somebody will overtake and move into the gap infront of you."
Would anyone care to invite him over?

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
AndrzejM (02-12-2013), California98Civic (07-05-2011), Cd (07-06-2011)