View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
mnmarcus
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
He recommends about 68mph on the highway (110kph). I suppose my civic would be up at about 3000rpm and would probably be in the vicinity of at least 70% load. I wonder about coasting down to 55 and accelerating with load to 68mph (rinse and repeat). Do any of you do this? You would yield an average speed higher than 55 for sure, probably well over 60, and you might reap FE benefits? EOC is a bit dodgy on the freeway. Does anyone do that? I am suggesting neutral coasting, engine on.
I get into sixth and "pulse" to five over, coast (in gear no gas pedal) down to the speed limit and repeat. Once every couple of weeks someone will be next to me and may wonder what the heck I'm doing. I usually just slow a bit so they can pass before they notice my speed is changing.

I used to coast in neutral, but now I coast in gear (I think the fuel cuts off when in gear versus a little fuel is used when in neutral to keep the engine on). I'll turn the engine off and coast in neutral to a stoplight (key to on for lights and steering). 1/3 the time I'll have to bump start to go when I get to the light, 1/3 I'll be sitting for 30 seconds+, 1/3 I'll come to a stop and have to start in less than 10 seconds (that ones the bummer).

Right now I'm pretty close to 30 mpg(combined) with my Vibe GT. Edmunds says 22/28. Before any hypermilling techniques I could get her down to 20 (or less!) I just had a couple of draging brakes fixed so hopefully it'll go up a bit more.