View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 03:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
@Cali98Civic: What surprised me was recommending that the engine speed should be in the 2k-3k rpm range without adding that this is for a petrol engine. This is still highish, I read that the range should be more like 1500-2500rpm, while a diesel should stay below 2k rpm. As for the high speed (110 km/h), I try keep 80-100 km/h on the highway, but this may not suite everyone. He's trying to get to the general public, so 110 instead of the 120-150 that most people are doing is easier to get through than recommending 90. Also, when he does his eco-runs he may be aiming for a relatively high average speed, and bumping it up on the highway allows him to go slower in traffic, which probably works for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmarcus View Post
I get into sixth and "pulse" to five over, coast (in gear no gas pedal) down to the speed limit and repeat. Once every couple of weeks someone will be next to me and may wonder what the heck I'm doing. I usually just slow a bit so they can pass before they notice my speed is changing.

I used to coast in neutral, but now I coast in gear (I think the fuel cuts off when in gear versus a little fuel is used when in neutral to keep the engine on).
You're not coasting in gear as much as you are engine braking. In 6th it may not be noticeable, but the drag is there. Coasting in gear works well when you have to keep your speed under control while going downhill, but on the flats you should be coasting in N. If you engine off coast then you get the best of both worlds. I believe that someone here has tested that the extra coasting distance in neutral more than makes up for the fuel used to idle the engine.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread