View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #77 (permalink)
d0sitmatr
n00b.... sortof..

silver fire - '03 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 32.52 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I'll see your Ranger, and raise you my '88 Toyota pickup. About 200K when I bought it, 3-4 years ago, 221K now. No major problems - heck, no minor problems either. Averages about 27 mpg, with a good share of the miles either 4WD on rough & steep dirt, or heavily loaded - sometimes both.

Forget the 60K miles: realistically, 100K miles is a Japanese vehicle's extended break-in period :-)
your talking two very different time periods.
I will agree with you that in 1988 the toyota was king of reliability.
but that is no longer the case, and hasnt been for some time.

let me 1 up you in that comparison
my ranger, in the 6 yrs I owned it, received 1 tuneup, 2 oil changes and 1 trans flush.
that is all I ever did in maintenance over the course of 6 yrs. it drove me everywhere I needed to go, reliably.
in the course of owning my ranger, I also owned several japanese cars.
95 toyota 4 runner - 180k, needing the timing chain replaced, along with the headgasket and multiple oil leaks non working AC (BTW, I know it was very well taken care of by previous owner, as it was my sister in law's vehicle since new)
98 subaru outback- 170k, was in excellent condition (physically) needed timing belt, timing assembly, clutch, axle, and had a bad headgasket which caused constant overheating when driving more than an hour.
95 eagle talon (mitsubishi eclipse)- 170k, nothing major with this car, except constant CEL's thrown at random intervals, making me hesitant to drive it for extended periods of time. and when I did it eventually drive for more than 3 hrs, it would run hot (about 3/4)
96 honduh accord- 150k biggest PoS Ive ever owned. nothing but problems from day 1

so can you see where Im coming from ?