View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 12:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Thymeclock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiep View Post
I'm really excited that I hit 40 mpg. I got 39 on part of a commuting tank with no seats, new oil change, new filters (well, engine, oil, cabin), no passenger or rear seats, max sidewall fill in tires, and going 55 mph-ish. I also got 39mpg to and 41mpg back from a family visit. I jumped 10 mpg, and I'm not sure which thing had the most impact. I'd assume going 55mph. My slushbox shifts gears later than I'd like, especially in that range. And I'm not often going that speed.... The seats are pretty light, but I think all of them together are about 100 lbs. I also was able to do some coasting since it was quite hilly. But I've never gotten such good mileage on that trip or on a commute! I saved 4 gallons this weekend! I would've saved 16 if I hadn't gone anywhere though lol

I'm hoping to eventually get at least 50mpg *crosses fingers* with some aeromods. I'm nervous that I won't be able to get anything better than that though. I can't EOC. I'm driving an automatic, and I'm not a hybrid or diesel.
Are you coasting in neutral or in drive?

As I've mentioned elsewhere I can get 37 MPG with the A/C on at 65 MPH - but the FE goes to hell once it's no longer in lockup mode. But I'm not about to remove the seats (it's my wife's car). So 40 MPG is believable if you are driving above 45 MPH.