View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 07:27 AM   #311 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenavy85 View Post
Today I let Karma take care of one. She was tailgating me, about 20-25 Feet back (maybe closer), for about 3 miles (in the slow lane). I was doing my pulse and glide from 50-60 MPH since the PSL is 55 MPH and the fast lane was doing about the same (minus P&G). My final glide was for about the last half mile to the stop light where I had to turn, once I was able to change lanes into the turn lane I did, at which point we exchanged "Middle finger salutes". Of course she was concentrating more on flipping me off than she was on driving (she had to open the sunroof of her Lexus) and proceeded to rear-end the Dodge Ram that had changed lanes into the spot I had previously occupied. I called the cops and waited around until they showed up and told them what happened (minus the part about me flipping her off), ticket for her, accident was her fault, and her insurance rates will likely go even higher than they already were.
This is not a criticism. I would not use P&G to maintain an average speed that matched the speed in the left lane. Instead I would extend my glide so the left lane traffic could move past me, assuming that was possible.

Sorry Ladies and gentlemen, my priority is safety. In very heavy traffic P&G starts a whiplash effect that goes back a considerable distance, where people are accelerating and braking far in excess of the one who originates the whiplash initially. In that situation I will P&G to maximise my mileage while I am in the whiplash zone behind the originator.

Here that is typically on the Interstates where one vehicle changes lanes without adequate separation between the two vehicles he has shoehorned his vehicle between. The following vehicles hit their brakes and in many cases the braking becomes much more severe as those who are already following too close overreact to the initial brake activity. This can go on for many hundreds of yards behind the first action.

I have found that in cases where the traffic is very heavy, and you really have no choice but to stay in your lane and match the speed of the rest of the traffic, or, at least here, you could get a lot more than a finger salute from another driver, possibly a multiple of PO highway neighbors each with their own choice of punishment, like pulling over in front of you and locking the brakes completely, or worse.

If your pursuit of mileage includes completely ignoring consideration for others around you then I think I will pass on that tactic. It's much too dangerous for me anyway.

Not saying the woman did not deserve what happened to her. If she was tailgating me and had other options I would have done the same, but it reads like the traffic was very heavy and that requires extra caution and predictable speeds and moves.

Regards
Mech

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Arragonis (07-08-2011), Cd (07-08-2011)