View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Simy
EcoModding Lurker

I'm not familiar with anything but the BMS and I have a rough idea of the speed controller. They can work together even if they are not directly designed to do so. With Pauls design you can use the BMS that Harlequin2 is working on to trigger a LVC condition without having additional voltage sensing current. The other thing that the BMS has is it has thermal probes as well. The cost cutting side of that isn't all that great though. Its like $2 in parts you can remove from Pauls board, but its just redundant.

As far as the LCD, IIRC from a quick read over a week or two ago it basically is a fancy screen with an ammeter and voltmeter, again that part of it can be tied into the BMS's sensors provided you add an ammeter.

Most chargers (Not sure about that one specifically) Need voltage, and or thermal probes as well. It wouldn't be hard to add an output signal from the master node in the Simple BMS assuming it didn't have one but I believe it is going to have one, or three. At a min. all you need is a free output pin. Ideally 3, but 1 would work just fine, and the rest can be done in SW.

The really big advantage of open development is that A) You can make suggestions and B) If the end product isn't exactly what you want your free to modify it. Just make sure you give credit where credit is due. Ideally do it open as well to give back to the community.