View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #37 (permalink)
Ernie
EcoModding Lurker

The silver one - '01 Saturn SL1
90 day: 53 mpg (US)
I have not posted for a year or two nor have I updated my gas log. I am still running in the 50-55mpg range with my Saturn SL1. I had not heard of the UEGO but a Goggle search showed it to be reasonably priced and it sounded very capable. I tried an innovatemotorsports wide band to narrow band converter several years ago but I did not have the recommended serial port to USB adapter and messed up the calibration. It would not revert to factory settings. This trimmed my Saturn so lean it almost would not run. I barely made it back home and was afraid I had ruined the cat at first. After re-installing the original EGO sensor it took almost 50 miles for the computer to fully trim back to normal operation. I bought the right serial to USB converter but never got around to hooking the system back up. When I first bought my Saturn and added warm air intake the plugs ran white. Over the years the plugs have gradually gotten darker. I am sure the innovate system is better but I bought and installed a "digital" dual quad EFIE from FuelSaver-MPG. I am only treating the pre-CAT sensor so far. As one adjusts for a leaner mixture it takes some time for the computer to adjust the trim. The claim is that this signal modifier can go leaner with a narrow band sensor than other similar systems. I have only driven it about 800 miles so far and as anyone familiar with a Scangage can tell you it can not be trusted after changes like this until it has been recalibrated for a couple tanks. Given that caveat this simple device appears to have added back the mileage that my car has lost over the years. The current tank is at 59 mpg for 380 miles but the calibration may take some of that away. Again I would concur the the wide band sensor is the way to go but This EFIE can make the most of your narrow band sensor and the installation was quite simple. Just needs power, ground and the sensor wire. The adjustments are truly quite precise and easy. I am running a 0.40 volt shift right now with no drivability issues. My plugs are getting white again. I find this to be one cost effective approach if one is not hung up over NO emissions. Ernie