View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #31 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Gallane has a point (to some extent) about what we in the UK call "Road Captains" - those who decide what speed everyone else should go. They sit in the passing lane holding up traffic to their chosen speed for no reason other than their sense of public service.

As for slowpokes - not sure who they are, are they us ? me ?

Luckily here in the UK the Police have powers for people driving too slow - maybe 30 MPH under the limit may qualify. The difficulty is that different classes of vehicles have different limits - cars, trucks, coaches - and they all share the same bit of road so there has to be some give and take. Also on any motorway with more than 2 lanes on each side, trucks and buses are not allowed into the outer one - which frustrates them if there is a "Road Captain" in the middle lane refusing to speed up or move over.

If I want to go slower I find a truck and sit behind it. When I'm behind a massive truck they tend to notice that and adjust lanes to take it into account. If I doddle along on my own people sometimes assume I'm going faster than I am and get annoyed they have to slow.

As for people who go on about me doing under the PSL my response is simple - its a limit and not a target.