View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 05:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Simy
EcoModding Lurker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawickm View Post
Simy

Your BMS project sounds like a very ambitious undertaking !!!

A good resource of info on BMS's is Elithion they are an industry standard, this is a link to their whitepapers on BMS and batteries: Li-Ion BMS - White Papers their paper on "Spaghetti in my battery" talks about centralized and distributive BMS systems. It might give you some ideas.

-Mark
Great, now everything is out the window. =) Seriously though, that was a good (albeit quick read without getting their $100+ book)

I was originally trying to more or less consolidate different projects into one unified modular system but I think I'll start with redesigning the energy managment system. Everybody seems to use the term BMS but to be quite honest an EMS would be better in two respects. It can 'cut off' the load (or controller in the case of EV's) and control or cut off the charger.

I think a good system should be adaptable to almost anything, like harvesting renewable energy and handeling the batteries in that.

Given what I've recently read I've got an idea. Thanks to DJBecker's comment on the Integrated ReVolt System thread here I think we should opt not to daisy chain them, and not have more wires then needed. Originally I was wondering if it wouldn't be possible to just take a 2 wire thing and clip it to each BMS as it goes by. I'll look into a good way to implement that.

However I'm unsure about using CAN and DJBecker is welcome to comment here on why CAN would best be used and further why its best used as one large single comm's array. I believe it would be best to divide the entire system into two communication networks. The one being all the BMS nodes with the master, the second being EVERYTHING (BMS master included)

I'll start on a revised graphic and post it soon... for real this time

Edit:
I think this is a basic outline of DJBecker is requesting: A standards based comm. network. He suggested using CAN specifically.

This is a *simple* block diagram of what people seem to want and what is likely. I didn't put the BMS nodes on the main array for a reason, they need to communicate VERY quickly. Nothing should interfere with them. Sensor nodes can be added and programmed when to alert or not. For example a sensor could be put on the motor to tell when it is hot so the controller can cut back.

If that is going to be the case then I think we will need to add a module to make decisions and sent reports out. I'm not sure how this will all work but anything could be tied into it simply enough. If there is support for this, or suggestions before I go down this road I would like to hear about it otherwise I will not likely get into a system wide comm's network. I will however use one for the BMS.

System wide and BMS comms is in the picture which I hope will be posted below:

Picassa Link: HERE

Last edited by Simy; 07-10-2011 at 07:10 AM..