View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 04:45 AM   #101 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Nope, the 5 million is US sales. Worldwide sales were upwards of 20 million.
You are correct - I sit (slouch) corrected, 5 million is worldwide for the old Mini which for some reason (probably too many biscuits) I had mixed up with the Beetle figures. Still not an overwhelming number compared to total car population of the US.

But it was VWs only model for a long time and they had little in terms of volume competition from overseas makers. We British didn't make anything the US wanted except for sports cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
...If I'm not mistaken, the Rabbit in the US was the Golf Mark 1. And again, I'm just going by memory, but IIRC it was popular here mostly because of the Cabriolet version, which was one of the few convertibles available at the time.
Its very confusing to be honest. VW use all sorts of names all over the place for different models which are actually the same or very similar to each other. There was even an ex Chrysler UK car sold as a VW in South America for quite a while.

Original British designed car (note the Chrysler star and Talbot name badge on the bonnet, and this was originally a Hillman...)

And this is the VW version a decade later

I think I shall setup a site dedicated to obscure cars nobody wanted...