View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #281 (permalink)
endurance
Master EcoModder

RSX2fast4mpg - '02 Acura RSX Type S
90 day: 38.22 mpg (US)

bubbatrucker - '98 Chevrolet K1500
90 day: 18.1 mpg (US)
The guys over at Clean MPG took a couple of them out for test drives last fall and were posting 60-70mpg when pulling out all the stops. If I recall, they even managed a near-80 mpg tank or run.

I think the hybrid CR-Z has a lot of potential insomuch as it's: a) a high school/college graduation car that might otherwise be a go-fast WRX or Mitsubishi, b) a 40-something guy car when he wants a sportscar, but also has a lengthy commute. Not everything in the world needs to be a Civic, Prius or a minivan, despite how good each is in their niche. I think it's a smart niche for Honda and as long as they continue with the Insite and the HCH, I think they're doing the world a lot more good than those that are just pursuing consumer demand for power and sportiness without thinking about mpg.

More than likely the CR-Z won't be my next car but it's fun to look at. I have another two or three years left in my ol' Acura before I get serious about a replacement. I want the lowest cost (purchase and maintenance) for the best mpg and that's probably not going to be a hybrid. It's more likely going to be a Fiesta, Elantra, or something in that class that's about three years old. I wouldn't mind going older, but honestly, there's so many good newer cars coming out right now, the 2010 and 2011s seem a class above everything from the previous decade.

More on the thread topic, I managed 64.1mpg coming into work today despite having to jump off the highway in favor of surface streets to avoid a major traffic jam (thanks again to my Waze app). Funny how I've come to expect 60+mpg on my morning commute despite the fact that when I first got a SGII I was thrilled when I managed over 50mpg.