View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 02:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Phantom
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
It sucks that its such a PITA to remove that from your car it takes about 25min to do it on my Bonneville remove 2 screws and loosen a band clamp then pull up. To remove the intake muffler use a screw driver and hammer at plastic welds, now reinstall air box. I went a step further and opened the front of the box also.

The air box is not really a restriction till you get into high RPMs and the MPG change will be .01-.7 better at most IF driving it the same way as before. The real benefit to this mod is better throttle response, and that can save gas.

Before anyone says anything here is the reason that it can save gas. Having better throttle response means there will be less delay in the engines ability to rev. If the engine can rev easier and faster changes in TPS are easier to detect allowing for more fine tuning of speed when cruising, and less time spent accelerating. In the end the change might not do anything for MPG but it will give a better seat of the pants feel and can allow the driver to better adjust the throttle for more efficient driving.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG