View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #208 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Are wind turbines or solar PV panels radioactive? I'm sure they can be recycled.
As a matter of fact, yes. They are radioactive, because EVERYTHING is radioactive.

Quote:
Do you live near Vermont Yankee? Leaking radioactive water gets into the ground water -- who drinks that?
No, I live on the other side of the continent, on the east side of a large granitic/igneous mountain range (the Sierra Nevada). Get my water from a well: as the groundwater seeps down through the rocks, it picks up some of the natural radioactive minerals in those rocks, leading to probably more net radiation than you'd get from a nuclear plant. Frankly, I'm a heck of a lot more worried about the stuff the $@#! golf course upstream uses - the same sort of stuff those large-scale solar plants would use to "discourage" vegetation.

Quote:
The damage from Japan's nuclear accident is ongoing and will be for a long, long time.
So what's the death toll so far?

Quote:
They use fuel rods for between 3 and 6 years.
Using up a few percent of the fissionable material (at most: a properly-designed breeder reactor produces more fuel than it consumes). Reprocess the fuel, as any sensible enterprise would do (ever hear of recycling?) and the storage problems go away.

Quote:
Plutonium is the most poisonous material other than maybe botulism.
That is simply not true.

Quote:
A single tablespoon in the water supply could kill everybody in a very large city.
Neither is that. Why don't you try reading some actual research - even the Wikipedia page, fer gawdsakes - rather than repeating this crud?

Quote:
Talk to us after someone blows up a so-called dirty bomb.
So what do "dirty bombs", or Pakistani/Iranian/North Korean conventional nuclear weapons, have to do with commercial nuclear power in the US?