View Single Post
Old 05-11-2008, 10:19 PM   #284 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
mounting plate/adapter process

I'll be reading your mounting plate/adapter process with great interest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
It's a good thing I have splined items I can attach lovejoy couplers to. Apparently cutting splines is a very tricky thing to do, and it requires lots of wacky measurements.
The little baby motor (62 pounder) that I just bought has a keyed shaft. That will make coupling pretty easy on the motor side. You went to some sort of farm shop? Did they have a pretty good selection? You can't beat $10. I hope it's easy to find one for my motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
I have the original clutch disc, so we can use the spline out of that.
Once I saw your picture up close of the clutch disc, I understood what the EVDL people were saying. Take that little spline, widen the hole of the love/joy with a lathe, insert the spline, weld it in. But you only get one chance with the welding, so I think I'll get a pro.

So, the only difficulty with centering is with the adapter plate, right? Lee Hart suggested to me that I use 2 separate plates, one for the bell housing, and one connected to the motor. Make two rough holes (you can be sloppy) in both of them. Mount the motor to the transmission (so the coupler should be done before this) and wiggle the motor around until there is the least amount of vibration. That is the center. Then "lock it into place" by some means, drill holes, and bolt the 2 together.

With no clutch, what do you plan on using for spacers? How much extra space will there be?

Have you seen the very recently added videos by the guy making his own coupler and adapter plate on youtube? He's going the WAY home-made approach.