Thread: Saturn TDI
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 09:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
ixlr8
EcoModding Lurker

Commuter - '02 VW Golf GL
90 day: 58.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeaver View Post
How did you that? Very impressive! Please share how you measure and advanced the timing. Plus, give more details about yr engine and control system to see if others may take advantage of yr experience.

Oldbeaver
The info is in the post "Results are in 3-4 MPG increase" on the TDIclub.com web site, in the VW MKIV-A4 forum. Using a scanner like VCDS you can access different engine parameters and make adjustments. I tried this on my 02 TDI and the tone of the engine changed, the engine warmed up faster, but I didn't see any change in fuel economy. For TDI's, the VCDS scan tool from Ross-Tech is very powerful, and is relatively safe to use. There are other scanners out there that let you access and control more... but they let you access deep into the programming and for novice programmers, unrecoverable errors are easy to make. The Ross-Tech scanner doesn't give you access deep into the programming and recommends limits for a parameter and gives a warning if you are going to do something real stupid. Just right for me.

PS- Craig, I have been following your project on TDIclub since you started, very interesting... good work. Good luck on hitting 70mpg.. I am trying for 60mpg in my Golf.