View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #109 (permalink)
Thymeclock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
And you should not be able to either. You seem a bit self-centered about this issue; it should not be an option to drive on public roads without some way of compensating others for the damage you do.
Who suggested there would be no way of compensating others? The negligent party would be sued. If he were self-insured he would pay the damages in full or effect a settlement. There is only a problem if he can't cover the the amount of the damages (in which case he isn't self-insured).

Quote:
Just think if an uninsured person hits you -- would you be ok without compensation?
A typical auto insurance policy for liability has protection against "uninsured drivers". If I chose not to buy insurance against "uninsured motorists" I would be out of luck - but I'd have no one but myself to blame for that.

I'm getting the impression that some here are clueless about what negligence and legal liability is. Your remark about my being "self-centered' is a poor substitute for your lack of understanding of how the law works.

The whole point of the discussion about mandatory insurance is that you do not get to choose whether to buy it or not; you can't opt out even if you can afford to cover any damages caused by your own negligence. The government (in virtually all states) forces you to pay for insurance for your own negligence, even if you are never negligent. Where does that money you are paying go? It goes toward insurance company profits and subsidizing the accidents of those who are negligent.

Last edited by Thymeclock; 07-14-2011 at 04:37 PM..