View Single Post
Old 05-11-2008, 10:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lazarus
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Better commuter than a road bike!? I'm shocked.
I have a lot of saddle time on both and not to start a which is better debate because it depends on the commute and road conditions but...
Yes better commuter. My road bike is set up to go fast. The Hybrid you sit a littler taller for better visiblity in traffic and for me an upright postion is more maneuverable in traffic. If has flat bars and you can add racks, lights, fenders and run wider tires(less flats and more comfortable ride on crappy roads).

In my experience the difference in speed between a MTB and a road bike is about 2 mph with slicks on a 26 inch rim for a normal commute. So on a 20 mile ride you're looking at 6-10 minutes. I don't know how much of a hit if any on 700cc wheels it will take. That's what I mean by more comfortable commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
Hey! That's my mountain bike frame! Mine's a '97 Karakoram.

Is that one as small as it looks??
Sure looks like it. I ride a pretty small frame. It's probably a 17" or so. I'm 5'8" and ride a 16-17 depending on manufacture or 52cm on a road bike standard frame or 48cm on a compact frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igo
Looks good. I was wondering about the wheels. So, you fit road bike wheels on a mountain bike? Did you run into any problems with the brakes?
Yes the brakes had to be moved up about an inch to make rim contact. They were the old canti-lever(sp) brakes. There was a hole at the top of each arm that work nicely to retofit them. I'm going to digg through my stuff some more and see if I can find some V-Brakes/side pulls that I can make work. The canti-levers put out minimum stopping power for a bike that is weighted down with this much stuff.