View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 10:54 PM   #38 (permalink)
Floppie
EcoModding Lurker

Acura - '02 Acura RSX Type-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
So Hondata's s100 is only $195 and allows tweaking of the air/fuel tables on an OBD2 ECU, such as on my 1998 Civic. Lots use it for street racing, of course, but it should be tunable for MPG, no? Has anyone tried it? I'm not ready for such a move yet, but if anyone has tried it or has an opinion, I'm curious.
If the s100's interface is anything like KManager (I've got Kpro for my RSX), yes. Not only did it give me a slight improvement of fuel economy (but mostly, more power) at WOT, it very significantly improved my P/T fuel economy. This was achieved by a combination of running leaner, pulling a little ignition timing out for safety when running leaner, and advancing the intake cam further (at P/T) to reduce the vacuum in the intake manifold.

All this required significant time spent tuning it though, and not just a one-time tune and forget either. Because I'm running it at the extreme limits (farther than an OEM would be willing to go) I do have to occasionally take my laptop out and make some changes, otherwise, detonation. It provides an option, though, to flash the CEL if it detects a knock - and the knock sensor is much more sensitive than the human ear. If I can actually hear it knocking there's a major problem.

I don't mind having it taken much farther than an OEM would be willing to, though, because I can always just plug in my laptop and make some changes.

For what it's worth, if the s100 is anything like Kpro, not only can you shut off closed loop (making this all possible), you do get temperature compensation tables for both fuel and spark timing. They take a tremendous amount of time to get dialed in, but they're very helpful.

Hope this all helps. If you do purchase it and need some help with tuning let me know. I'm pretty accomplished, I do all the tuning in my little group (95% power tuning, for the most part I'm the only one who's done any FE tuning, but still)

Last edited by Floppie; 07-14-2011 at 11:13 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Floppie For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (07-26-2012)