View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 12:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kodak
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
No first hand (pun intended) experience on this, since I'm a righty. The most likely case is that practice will improve coordination, but strength gains will not be large.

Strength is only built on an as-needed basis. So if you lift, for example, a 10 pound weight, you get good at lifting 10 pounds or less. But continued effort with 10 pounds for the same amount of exposure won't gain any more strength. The same reason explains why a person walking for miles every day doesn't get huge legs, using the shake weight does not create giant shoulders/arms, and the entire 'toning' concept is a fallacy. I just don't see much of a 'stressful stimulus' - which is what causes adaptation in the body (see Hans Selye's general adaptation syndrome).

In any event, shifting or driving with one's non-dominant hand would only develop the necessary strength and coordination to do those activities. Since the dominant side does a bunch of more challenging stuff, I don't think it would catch up fully.

This is a really interesting question though, because it begs the questions: Would we develop R/L handed if objects were not built this way? Why aren't steering columns in the middle?