View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 06:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
evomoto
EcoModding Lurker

Hello,

I was made aware that there´s a post on the ecomodder homepage about my bike so I figured I take a look at what´s written here. It looks like I can give some answers to your questions.

Let me first answer the question how I got to this low fuel consumption, even though my bike is not as streamlined as Allerts bike and has for sure a higher drag coefficient. The simple background to it is: frontal area. When you view the bike from front or rear you will notice that you can see only a very small profile. Take a look at the attached picture and you´ll see what I mean. And this significantly decreases aerodynamic drag. I was stunned when Allert and me met with our bikes near Cologne two months ago. There is a big difference. He gets the extreme drag reduction out of streamlinig, while I focused more on reduction of frontal area. Overall we then end up at about the same fuel consumption.

One advantage of the only partial fairing is the lower aditional weight which saves you some fuel in urban driving conditions (stop-and-go) while it for sure has only little influence when driving at constant speed in flat terrain. Additionally the acceleration of the bike is still pretty good. Even though it has a slightly higher weight and a higher gearing compared to the original Honda Innova, it gives you a better acceleration at speeds above 50kph just because of the lower aerodynamic drag (as shown on the evomoto-website).

The evomoto indeed is very comfortable. Compared to my "regular" motorbike, a 2002 Suzuki SV650S, and also compared to all other motorbikes I rode so far, it is very relaxing and does not cause either of the pains you get on regular bikes: wrists, neck, knees, backbone, buttocks. All these body parts are not overloaded and therefore do not hurt. beatr911 has a point though with his remark about the head rest: I took me quite a while to find the right design to keep vibrations away from the helmet - in the end I succeded and I can say, that the noise level now is quite a bit lower than on regular bikes, especially due to the low wind noise.

I did a round trip though Germany last month: 2230km within one week. Visiting major cities and friends. During the trip the bike did not only prove its stamina, robustness and comfort. It also showed that even in often not ideal driving conditions (rain, heavy head and side wind, many traffic jams and urban stop-and-go traffic) it is able to give you an average fuel consumption of about 1,1 l/100km - it needed 24,65l of gas for this trip.

I hope, I was able to answer your questions. More comments are welcome!

Wolfgang
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Frontalansicht.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	9001  
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to evomoto For This Useful Post:
Cd (07-17-2011), dcb (07-15-2011), ecofreak (07-16-2011), euromodder (07-19-2011), low&slow (07-15-2011), piers.singer (07-16-2011), Piwoslaw (07-15-2011), skyl4rk (07-15-2011), SoobieOut (07-17-2011)