View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 06:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
evomoto
EcoModding Lurker

Hello there,

sorry for responding late. I´m quite busy these days.

@Piwoslaw: If you intend to rebuild an Innova from scratch, be aware that it´s a lot of work. It does look simple but getting there is anther thing. I have spent many hours in the workshop especially on the aerodynamic parts (front and rear fairing) until I was satisfied with them. I think the front fairing is already the 5th stage in evolution. Overall, I have for sure spent well above 1000h maybe even more than 1500h to get the evo where it is now.
On the other hand I have thought about creating an Innova-evomoto conversion kit, since quite a lot of people were interested in buying an evomoto 125cc. I got in contact with a german company who could produce the parts and sell the kit. However, when I announced the cost for the kit (3500 to 4000€), most of these people reconsidered their interest and for the moment there are not enough left to start a small batch series. Assembly time for the kit would be about 3 days for a skilled worker, for sure more for a person who does this the first time and is only a hobby mechanic.

@low&slow: Side wind indeed was one issue I was very unsure about, when I started the project. And actually this is also one of the most-asked questions about the evo. From todays view and with the experience of about 14000km I can say, that riding the evo in side wind conditions is not much different from regular bikes except the sideways inclination is somewhat higher. I have layed out the bike according to some rules and got a quite good behaviour. It virtually automatically compensates for side wind, leans into the wind and keeps the straight line. My sensation is that I don´t have to do any intentional action when a side wind gust hits me. Even in winds up to 7 Bft it was safe to ride. The only time I skiped a ride so far was when the weather forecast announced 100kph (10Bft) winds and recommended people to stay at home. As for your bike I´d recommend to try out the behaviour without front wheel fairing - I bet side wind behaviour is much better then.

@sky4lrk: Extending the rear fairing further backwards could be an option, but unfortunately I need to obey the european regulations for the license plate, the rear lights and the turn indicators. With this in mind, there is not much left I can do, since the rear flat surface of the fairing has to have certain dimensions simply to enable to meet the regulations.
Rain protection is great. Basically, when in motion your body stays dry. Only from the chest upwards and on the back of your hands you will get wet. And, in really heavy rain, you will see some mist slightly moistening the rear of your legs. For example: during my round-trip through Germany with several hours in rain and on wet roads I never needed to use my raingear, even though my protection jacket is not waterproof.
Shifting gears is quite simple but different from regular motorbikes: you´ve got two levers, one for the left and one for the right foot. Depressing a lever on the first 20mm or so disengages the clutch and then on the remaining displacement the gear is shifted. Releasing the lever then reengages the clutch. Right foot is for upshifting, left foot for downshifting. The additional centrifugal clutch makes starts (e.g. at the traffic lights) very easy. Basically I used the regular semi-automatic clutch and gear technology of the original Innova and only slightly modified it and relocated the actuation mechanism into the front fairing.

Greetings from Germany
Wolfgang
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evomoto For This Useful Post:
redyaris (07-19-2011), visionary (07-19-2011)