View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 01:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
Duffman
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by monroe74 View Post
In a way, my question is this. If you're using a wideband O2 sensor, how can you tell whether you're in open-loop or closed-loop mode? With a conventional low-resolution sensor, you can tell this way: "Closed loop operation is indicated by the sensor showing several cross counts per second." (From here: http://mr2.com/TEXT/O2_Sensor.html; the term "cross counts" is explained there.) But wideband sensors behave in a fundamentally different way, and aren't constantly oscillating (creating cross counts).

So I'm wondering how to monitor open-loop mode on a wideband engine like the VX, and I'm wondering if maybe open-loop simply doesn't happen. And I'm thinking about switching from 80% throttle to WOT, as part of my P&G routine.

This is fairly radical; I've never seen anyone, anywhere, advocate frequent WOT as part of any FE strategy. But I'm considering WOT virtually 100% of the time (except when the throttle is closed). In other words, I might start treating the throttle as a switch (this applies mostly to top-gear operation). So I'm very interested in comments.
First part, if you have a wide band, closed vs open loop is off the mark, you should be monitoring the actual A/F ratio, whether you have a dedicated gauge or just the voltage, this is the way to go.

Second part, JohnnyGrey is bang on. You will hit a point somewhere that the A/F ratio will begin to richen with increased throttle opening. Keep that mixture as lean as possible. On my old Concorde my foot learned the pedal positioning that the automatic unlocked the torque converter and it made a huge difference in instantaneous FE climbing a big hill. My suggestion would be a throttle stop once you learn the magic position, this could be a metal stop under the hood or as simple as a piece of 2x4 under the pedal.

I would not advocate treating the throttle as a switch. I think P&G will be very hard on your driveline.