View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
bwilson4web
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Do you have the raw data for that segment? Would like to know what mg1 and ICE RPM are doing and be able to count area under the curves.

And can you expand on "~82% - adding the vehicle overhead"? Vehicle overhead is not intuitive to me in this context.
I'll post the data later this evening. The raw data file is about 88K which is not so bad. But when it goes into the spreadsheet, it grows due to the formula needed to derive ICE rpm, torque, watts, MG1 and MG2 watts, and traction battery watts. The smallest spreadsheets are now over 300K and this one is much larger. Regardless, I'll include the time-range in seconds and you should be able to replicate the math.

The vehicle overhead needs to kept separate from the energy transfer between MG1 and MG2. The NHW11 Prius is running roughly 500W for the control computers, displays, inverter coolant pump and day-light running lights. This is drawn from the traction battery bus by a DC-to-DC converter to run the 12V bus. We see this when the car is sitting with the engine off and not moving sustained by the traction battery draw. If our interest is in the electrical path, power losses, we have to account for this vehicle overhead along with the traction battery charge/discharge load.

What I did is adjust the traction battery load by adding 500 W, the vehicle overhead. Then the adjust traction battery load was added to MG1 and divided by MG2 to calculate the electrical path, power efficiency.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 07-18-2011 at 07:45 PM..