Thread: No brakes :)
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 10:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
larrybuck
Master EcoModder

That would be a nice dream for most of us.

Even when its not a population problem of someone triggering the light from a sidestreet, the vast majority of us probably have at least some hills to deal with that squash the perfect world!

I have a question that relates somewhat to Frank's comments.

Most typical American car nuts feel like you must be lame not to always want to upgrade a car to disc brakes. My question is this:

In theory, wouldn't it be cheaper, easier for a novice wrench for maint.; and also easier to adjust for little to no drag, a drum brake setup???

Owners of newer vehicles may not want to admit that something lower tech could as an Eco-modder be a GOOD THING!!!

A cleaner vehicle....look Maw; no brake dust all over. Should that alone be fuel for a less pollution situation?

I'm not even going to pretend like for it to go mainstream! There are too many numbskull drivers out there that need all the stopping power they can find.

My '81 CB Honda 400 has a caliper that sticks once in a while in damp situations, to where I almost can't push it physically....it takes about a 1/4 mile down the road on/off grabbing my front brakes, until it warms enough to break free. Never had to even think of that potential trouble (or expense) on the older manual brake bikes!

The car drums might be a bit heavier, but in very light vehicles used for hyper mile-ing; wouldn't the simplicity, and extreme low to no drag be worth it?????