View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 03:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
evomoto
EcoModding Lurker

Good morning,

as euromodder already mentioned, weight is 114kg with fuel. Top speed is about 130kph (according to GPS). Concerning the weight, there are some reductions still possible. In fact, I did some redesign work on the seat undercarriage which has cut about 1kg. More could probably be done on other parts but I look rather for stability than for lowest weight, since 5kg less weight only help little with the fuel consumption at steady speed. During my round trip through Germany I had an additional weight of over 10kg and did not see significant influence to fuel consuption.
Concerning top speed, 130kph can be reached in flat terrain with no wind. Downhill or with tailwind you will see even higher speeds, however I donīt do this since I donīt want to overstrain the engine. Actually I limit my permanent speed to 110 to 115kph and use the rest only for overtaking. Oil temperature measurements have shown that at this speed I have optimum oil temperatures of 100 to 110°C. Running 130 kph at 32°C ambient temperature for 10min will kick the temperature up to almost 130°C which is more than I would like to see permanently. However mostly I keep a speed of 85 to 90kph and roll along with the trucks (not using the slipstream advantage - I keep a distance of usually 50m because I feel more comfortable this way).

I did do coast down and steady downhill slope coast speed measurements with the original Honda Innova and the evomoto. Results for cd x A are:
Innova: 0,57m2 for the upright rider and 0,42m2 for ducked down rider
evomoto: 0,23m2 for the seat in upright position and 0,21m2 for the seat in reclined position (which I use 99% of the time)
All results with rather tight fitting textile motorcycle protection wear.
I would love to go into a wind channel one day, but this is very expensive.

I calculated that there are pretty equal contributions to the improvement of the aerodynamic drag both from reduced frontal area and coefficient of drag. As a rough numer, it can be stated that both individual values (cd and A) dropped from 0,7 (original Innova) to about 0,45 (evomoto 125cc).

Apart from minor changes to the evomoto 125cc my thoughts for future developments go in different directions:
1. Go electric - it must be an incredible feeling without the sound of the combustion engine only with the humming of the electric motor. I do get an idea about this, when I let the evo go downhill with the engine in idle. Itīs great especially on a windig road - uncomparable to anything Iīve done before. Hopefully, battery technology keeps on improving like in the last 5 years and we will see reasonable prices and capacities within the next 5 years.
2. Go for more power - Iīd like to try out and use the good aerodynamics rather for top speed than for fuel consumption - of course the latter will still be good. My precalculations show, that with a bike with a top speed of 275kph you will still get a fuel consumption of about 100mpg at 130kph constant speed.
3. Go for more weather protection - this is what many people have asked for and suggested. From a motorcyclists view, I think weather protection is already great, but of course from the car drivers view it could be much better.

Greetings from Germany
Wolfgang
The Following User Says Thank You to evomoto For This Useful Post:
visionary (07-20-2011)