View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 11:35 PM   This thread is in the EcoModder Project Library | #1 (permalink)
graydonengineering
EcoModding Apprentice

Frontier 2wd 2.4L 5 speed - '98 Nissan Frontier XE
90 day: 27.87 mpg (US)
Frontier pickup belly pan project

I am currently working on what I hope to be a full or nearly full belly pan on my pickup. I will use this thread to document my progress and ask for suggestions and help as I go.

So far, I filled the large gap between the bumper valance and the factory plastic front under body pan up front and boxed off the front corners of the bumper valance. I also capped the front light holes and used body fill to effectively erase them from my front end. I can tell the difference already in sound and throttle load at high speed which is giving me the encouragement to keep going. Since the truck is relatively tall, even with 2" of suspension drop, I am going to try to maintain my ground clearance and go for what I would call the "high and smooth" approach. I am not willing to drop the truck any lower since I would loose my remaining suspension travel without expensive drop spindles.

My biggest question right now is how I am going to deal with the rear axle. The leaf springs will be quite a challenge as well. The rear bumper currently acts as a parachute. The rear axle back is a disaster really... I guess I will cross that bridge when I get there but suggestions and examples would be greatly appreciated!

Fog light shave:

Bumper gap and and corner box-off:

Before:

After:

And getting started on side skirts:

Before:

After:

THIS should get interesting:

Best 15-mile commute city/highway mix: 37.7 mpg
Best tank so far: 31 mpg