View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 07:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
graydonengineering
EcoModding Apprentice

Frontier 2wd 2.4L 5 speed - '98 Nissan Frontier XE
90 day: 27.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnemy View Post
To do my belly pan I was planning on cutting small pieces of angle iron and welding them to the frame, then drilling and tapping holes in the angle to allow me to bolt on the pan.
I am planning on the same concept only I will be using 1 X 1 X 1/16" aluminum with threaded inserts and/or plastic panel rivets (the resuable automotive type). The aluminum is very light , stiff, and inexpensive. I just picked up a 16 foot stick for $15 at the local industrial metal supply. I am using self tapping screws to secure the chloroplast to the steel frame. My install is inteded for street use only however!

The automatic grill block I am trying out is working out well! I have seen my coolant temperature actually fall recently with it installed since it is now only 95 degrees rather than 110. The engine temps have been in the high 180's to 190. The grill block remains open untill I hit about 50 MPH and the force of the wind will then force it shut. I designed it to do that so if you are pulling a load up a grade and your not going very fast, you will still have full cooling. If you are goning fast enough to shut it, the air velocity should provide enough cooling to the remaining open lower grill. Even though the whole lower bumper is sealed off now rather than open, I still get more than enough cooling. I still have not closed off enough to cause any higher temps than factory. I may close off part or all of the lower girll so find the "tipping point".

Best 15-mile commute city/highway mix: 37.7 mpg
Best tank so far: 31 mpg