View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
bryn
EcoModding Apprentice

sputnik - '93 oldsmobile silhouette
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

home sweet home - '92 ford clubwagon E-350 xlt

very excelant - '92 honda civic vx
i would think learning to work on the wifes car so you are not taking it to the shop would be step one,

next the pickup, i like the diesel electric idea, if you could use a free wheeling clutch like saabs had years ago. your electric moter could be drive side of the trans and run as electric only, without spinning the whole crankshaft etc. with regen braking, and as generator.

over all put the most energy into what ever will save you the most; if the truck drives 15 miles a month don't do anything with it unless that would help you replace the mileage driven by another vehicle.

i think the new vehicles (xr3, or long range performance ev) are not replacing or up grading anything. just making a new car so you can drive it more than you would have driven without it.

i think a prius with a bad battery pack, body damage, blown head gasket etc. would be perfect. you can start with the best thing going and build from there. every one here is really proud when they beat a prius mpg. so even if you just get back to stock you have saved a bunch of money. and can probably do better enough with your driving skills alone to basjoose us all! and then upgrade from there