View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 11:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Otto
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
otto,
great`input!

Once you have the 'size' of the opening you can stroll the rows of tubing, hoses, plumbling, drainage etc and look for a size that fits.

Funny you mention the soda bottle. I used the neck of a bottle the other day as a 'reducer' between to odd shapes and it worked amazingly.
Go on YouTube and search keywords "PETG". There is a vid of a guy who takes a small sheet of that stuff (same as soda bottle plastic), heats it in his kitchen oven, then stretttttttches it over a wood mandrel on a stick, to make the forward fuselage shape of a hand-launched glider.

Note how ductile and workable that stuff is. For your brake cooling duct, what would happen if you heated up a 2 liter soda bottle, and had a way to properly handle it and stretch it over a mandrel properly shaped for such a duct? Stretched to an elongated wine bottle, it would have an elegant and fluidically efficient shape.

I've not tried this, but cannot help but wonder what such uses we might make of otherwise discarded plastic bottles and other common "trash."

Or, how about taking such PETG 2 liter soda bottle, cutting the ends off, slitting the remaining cylinder lengthwise, so laid flat you have a sheet ~10" X ~15". Such sheet, if held in a simple frame and heated in the oven, could maybe be thermoformed into stuff like mirror blister fairings, protective headlight glass covers, smoothing covers for needless holes in grills and car noses, etc..

I'm also considering use of such 2 liter soda bottle to split down the middle into halves, for aero hand protecters/handlebar end fairings on a motorcycle, to streamline an otherwise draggy shape out in the breeze. Painted from the inside, a clear plastic piece would have excellent finish. Same story with plastic disks for wheel covers, painted to match the car.