View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 03:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
shorttimer
EcoModding Lurker

I kinda feel for you. But to be cheap on gas, you're really going to have to be light on the foot. And that's not exactly what they had in mind when they designed the car, turbo n all. It will require an immeasurable amount of discipline. I think, in your case, the scanguage may be of value. I say this because I also live in a complete dichotomy. I try to stretch every drop of fuel & then I'm just a road racing fanatic. Especially MotoGP. About 10 years ago, I was given a non running Moped, which only took 1/2 hr or so to get going. I live on a mild hill & had been doing hypermiling this whole 10 years before I knew what it was called. With coasting downhill I'm getting way over 200MPG. For the Moped I have only spent $20 on gas this year, so far. I don't have to commute for work. Yay! I do have a van and cringe when I have to put the key into the ignition, which has only been on one trip so far this year and about $150. My license & insurance are eating me alive, which is usually 3X the cost of gas, and that's after I told them I was only driving less than 2000mi a year. I've got zero tickets or DUIs. My freeway legal bike is a Kawi EX250 & you know, from reading our forums, that some guys are regularly getting mid 90s mpg. I'd strongly recommend one of those if you can afford $1500, give or take, + $120/yr for insurance. Restraint on a MC is sooooooo hard for me to do, cause they sound so sweet at around 14 grand. But, like you, I'll learn.