View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
How often it gets used depends on how well it works, I tend to barrow a truck once a month or so to haul stuff, a number of my neighbors have talked about buying trucks that would sit most of the time for those odd times that they have to haul stuff as well, so what is the cost of buying a truck? you can get something that is in rough shape for $1,500 and are going to spend alot of time and money keeping it on the road.
For my self I would do this because I already have the set of batteries and a spare commuti-car rear/drive axle that is good for moving 1,800 pounds down the road at 40mph when installed in an electric car and at a higher voltage should be good for 55mph, of course a SepEx motor would work much much better.
So for me it shouldn't cost more then $600 in parts and of course the time taken away from other projects and if I didn't have use of a truck that only costs me putting gas in it when I use it, I would be in a bigger hurry to build this, but I think it's a good solid idea that could work for people who are keeping a pickup truck and spending hundreds a year to license and insure it just so they can haul something heavy every few months, or if you look at why people spend $10,000 on a truck they often say that it is so they only have to own one vehicle even tho they only use it for hauling a few times a year, at that point the fuel savings alone would pay for a trailer like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
It is hard to imagine dedicated batteries on the trailer (expense). How often you use it becomes a factor (vs something you put together for a couple Benjamins that you limp around with on occasion).