View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 06:48 AM   #44 (permalink)
SomeDude451
EcoModding Lurker

Glug,
I don't know much about the MPGuino, yet, and half of the solutions you've tried have gone right over my head. I'd like to get into Electrical Engineering in the near future, but as of now I'm not very knowledgeable about that. However, I've owned, driven and maintained a 90'-91' Ford F-Series pickup for the last 10 years.

I saw you have an E4OD, given that the truck should have two speed signals. One is the VSS sent to the ECM that controls the shifting of the transmission. The other will be the RABS signal that comes off the tone ring located on the rear differential.

You didn't mention whether you're truck was 4x2 or 4x4. Either way, the VSS sensor should be in a similar place. Both should be attached to the speedo cable connection. On the 4x2 it should be on the tail shaft of the transmission. On the 4x4 it'll be on the top of the output shaft of the transfer case, just forward of the slip shaft.

I'd have to look it up in the factory service manual that I have to see if it calls out what type of signal the VSS produces, but if you haven't tested that already, it could be the type of signal you need.

If you're using a Haynes or Chilton to trace wires, you could be mislead. In 92' the ABS signal on the rear axle was re-purposed to do double duty as a VSS sensor and ABS sensor. So that might cause some confusion. Check the transmission/transfer case and try that signal. If I recall correctly, the two wires on that plug should feed into pins 3 & 6 of the ECM.

I'm interested in getting a MPGuino, so I'm curious to see how this works out for you.